Deltek’s 2021 AE Clarity Report
Even during one of the most unprecedented years, The Deltek Clarity Architecture & Engineering Industry Study continues to be the leading market trends report for architects and engineers. Based on 2020 fiscal data at 480 participating firms of all shapes, sizes, and disciplines from across the United States and Canada, the Clarity Study collaboratively identifies key performance indicators and industry trends and conditions to help you benchmark your firm’s performance.
With a distinct focus on financial fundamentals, digital transformation, and project management expertise, firms are optimistic about the future of their businesses as they enter the new year.
SN thanks Deltek, ACEC, ACEC | Canada, AIA, and SMPS for their contributions and coordination of this year’s study.
Highlights from this year’s study include:
- More than half of firms struggle with prioritizing which new technologies are most applicable to their business and which will yield the greatest returns.
- The overall utilization rate, a primary driver of a firm’s revenue, rose to 60.8%, while the net labor multiplier slipped slightly to 2.97.
- Revenue from the top three clients accounted for 37% of total revenue, a decrease from 42%.
- 64.8% of projects were on or ahead of schedule, down 1.5 points.
- Forty percent of firms have not added to or replaced their HR solutions in more than five years.